Background: Surry, an agricultural town with good farmlands, was first settled in 1764 and incorporated in 1769 from parts of Gilsum and Westmoreland. It is named in honor of Sir Charles Howard, Earl of Surry.
To the east of the village rises Surry Mountain, where for some years small amounts of mica, copper, lead, silver and gold could be found. Atop the mountain itself is Lily Pond, more than 700 feet above the village and in some places 80 feet deep. The extensive Surry Mountain Dam and reservoir are part of the Connecticut River flood control system.